Step by Step Meditation for Seniors
Meditation exercises are easy to perform, it takes only a few minutes of rest. With the practice of meditation, you will discover how to free your thoughts and find peace.
- Calm down
Make sure that you are comfortable and that your activities will not be interrupted. Take 3 deep breaths in a calm rhythm. Relax; let all thoughts go so that nothing bothers you.
- Focus on breathing
Feel your breath as you inhale and exhale. Taking a breath, imagine that you are filled with light and peace. When exhaling, let the tension and anxiety disappear.
- Go with the flow of breath
Follow the rhythm of your breathing. Think of your breath as a life force that supports you, relaxes and fills you with energy. Do not think about anything that distracts your attention, or penetrates your mind.
- Cherished word
Start repeating a word that has a special meaning for you. For example, “peace,” “love,” “harmony,” “healing,” or “kindness.” Repeat the word as you inhale and exhale.
- End of meditation
After 1-2 minutes, return your attention to breathing. Take 3 deep breaths, transfer the concentration back to your body and environment. Stretch, then slowly open your eyes and move into the surrounding reality.
- Enjoy the atmosphere
Sit quietly for a few moments to get used to reality. If you want, turn on the music. Give yourself time to enjoy a sense of calm before returning to your daily routine.
Do these meditation exercises step by step to get rid of everyday stress and tension. The more often you meditate, the more focused you are likely to become even in old age.
Who can practice meditation?
Meditation is absolutely safe and anyone can do it, irrespective of their age.
- To get the most out of meditation, avoid noisy environments. Turn off your phone, because a sudden sound can take you out of the state of meditation, and you will feel confused.
- You can continue practicing meditation, even if you are prescribed a treatment. However, avoid alcohol because it can affect your ability to concentrate.
- Make sure that no one in the household can disturb you so that you can completely relax.
- Set a time limit for meditation (around 10-20 minutes) and stick to it.
Supplemental Health Plan: Seniors who’re 65+ can use 2020 Medicare advantage comparison with http://www.medicareadvantageplans2020.org that cover deductible & co-insurance.